I was recently selected as Time's Person of the Year. Well technically, everyone who ever used internet was named as the Person of the Year. After reading the stupid article, I did some googling and found that I am in the company of Ayatollah Khomeini, Adolf Hitler and our beloved president George W Bush (actually twice!!). Now, not many people think that is a great group to be included in, do they? And do you how this tradition of "Person of the Year" started? - It is believed that the Time Editors came up with this idea during a slow news week in 1927. Well, it is a great idea but they should have also come up with a set of rules and standards.
Anyway, Who am I? I tried to answer in a single sentence, but it's impossible. Let me introduce myself by saying that I work in the Technology Sector and knocking on 30.. Oh My God!!! I feel like one of my feet is already in the grave. I live in Chicago with my beautiful/loving/caring wife (Just trying to be nice... if she ever discovers who this CFA_Blogger really is?). Many would consider my career as successful and I am proud of it, but I don't feel my work as challenging anymore. I always wanted to do an MBA and have been playing with that idea for quite a while now. I did lot of research and concluded that full-time MBA from a top-tier university is the way to go, if I wanted to change careers. I have also noticed that CFA is a great designation to have along with an MBA, if I wanted to work in the financial sector. I am not going to discuss how or if I will get admitted to a top-tier MBA university, but I have strapped my seat belts and begun my journey to CFA and MBA. I may or may not be able to change careers at the age of 33-34 (when I will be hopefully done with CFA and MBA...), but that aside, it will be a great achievement in itself if I fulfill that goal.
Why this blog? You must be thinking I am crazy to have such lofty goals and wasting all my time on the internet writing stories about myself. There are three reasons why I started this blog. Firstly, there is very little information online about personal experiences of CFA Candidates. All we hear is that CFA is too tough to crack and blah .. blah ... blah... So I wanted to convey my experiences as I go thru each stage of it. Secondly, I thought it would be a great tool to motivate me to stick to my schedule and post something new everyday. Lastly, you must have already noticed that I lack writing skills. Stick with me and I will improve my writing skills along the journey and will make it one heck of a ride.
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hey buddy i understand that u want a career shift and u have said by 33-34 u ll be cfa. so how do u plan to complete ur workex that is mandatory before getting cfa designation. i jus want to understand how are u planning to shift to financial sector.
Hi Anonymous,
CFA Institute states that, one can finish the work experience requirement even after completing all the exams. That's what I am gonna do...I think finishing up the exams is the real hard part. Work experience requirement includes a wide range of professions and should be easy to accomplish.....
Hey, buddy!
Thanks for sharing your benefits.
I commend you for taking on such an enormous task as the CFA program with no prior business knowledge. I like the blog idea but was really looking for an interaction between candidates. Have you come across any really good interactive communication modes for students across the country? I am in Denver, have a BS in Finance and work for an RIA. I have some tech background and knowledge but that is my "fun" side. A financial firm is more likely to hire you after you pass the first level. Good Luck!
Post a Comment