Friday, January 12, 2007

Done with Ethics. Some thoughts about Quantitative Methods.

I have finally finished reading Ethics and Professional Standards from the CFA Curriculum material over the weekend. I have memorized all the Ethics and Standards and can recite them even in the middle of the night. It's actually more important to understand the guidelines rather than memorizing the Standards, but I wanted to put in some extra effort as this is a very important topic on the exam. It is also one of the easier topics for me. I did pretty well on the practice questions in the material.

The CFA Curriculum is divided into Study Sessions. Ethics and Professional Standards is in Study Session I and the curriculum material for this session is made available by CFA Institute free of charge. You can download the material for Study Session 1 from here.

It's been about 4 days since I started reading Quantitative Methods material and should say that it is very advanced. I thought this would be another easy topic for me due to my technical background and strong mathematical foundation. Although it is still mathematics, it has a financial element that we don't acquire in mathematics courses. I am reading one of the reference textbooks suggested by the CFA Institute and really like the book. The Quantitative Methods material is actually 2 Study Sessions and so I am giving myself until Jan 21st to complete this material. Most CFA class room instructors tend to give a week for each Study Session and I will follow that in my preparation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..I too found the Quantitative Methods a bit verbose making it harder to understand than need be. I am reverting to my college texts to iron out what they are saying in the institute curriculum books. Be sure to look at the footnotes in your curriculum books and refer to the texts that they use...the info does not need to be so complex. The texts that they refer to are supposed to be the best to use for reference but I am using multiple different texts.